Ken Griffin Net Worth
Ken Griffin net worth: Ken Griffin is an American entrepreneur who has a net worth of $10 billion dollars. Born in Daytona Beach, Florida, Ken Griffin went on to graduate from Harvard University. He began trading while in college, and had amassed a million dollars by the time he graduated. He launched his own hedge fund company, Citadel LLC, in 1990. The company was massively successful throughout the 90s and early 2000s, and Mr. Griffin started regularly appeared on the lists of richest Americans published by Forbes and Fortune. His company took a beating in 2008, as did most funds. He personally lost over a billion dollars in net worth in the aftermath of 2008 and his fund lost $9 billion. He eventually managed to recover, however, and is back at pre-recession levels with more than $30 billion under management. In addition to his hedge fund work, he is also a major art collector, and sits on multiple philanthropic boards. He also runs his own foundation, Citadel Group Foundation. He is currently based in Chicago and New York City but has homes all over the world. In 2018 alone his personal income was $1.4 billion. In November 2017 Ken donated $125 million to the University of Chicago. In 2016 he spent $500 million to acquire two paintings, one by Jackson Pollack, the other back Willem de Kooning.
Homes: Between 2013 and 2019 alone, Ken spent $750 million on personal residences. Those purchases include a $58 million home in Chicago (the most expensive purchase in Illinois history), a $60 million home in Miami (a record for Miami), a $17 million mansion in Hawaii, $200 million worth of LAND in Palm Beach, Florida, a $122 million mansion in London and four floors of a New York City building that cost $238 million. His New York City purchase set the record for most expensive home in the history of the United States.
Fun Ken Griffin Wealth Milestones:
- Started out investing in his dorm with $265k raised from friends and family. Had over $1m by the time he graduated
- Personally lost $1b in 2008 crisis, his firm lost $9b
- Today his company, which he owns entirely, manages $30 billion
- Made $1.4 billion in 2018
- Has spent $750 million on personal real estate since 2013
- In 2017 he donated $125m to the University of Chicago
- In 2016 he spent $500m on TWO paintings
- Holds the record for most expensive home purchase in Illinois, Florida, New York and the United States
- His $200m purchase in Palm Beach, FL is just land. Still needs to build a house!
- His $240m NYC purchase is the top four un-furnished floors of a building. Still needs to spend millions on furniture and fixtures (sinks, stoves, refrigerators)