Ken Griffin Net Worth
Ken Griffin net worth: Ken Griffin is an American entrepreneur who has a net worth of $16 billion dollars. Griffin is the CEO of Citadel, a hedge fund with $32 billion in assets under management. The Chicago-based company has five core strategies in fixed income and macro, quantitative strategies, commodities, equities and credit. He also founded Citadel Securities, a global market-making business.
Early Life: Ken Griffin was born in Daytona Beach, Florida on October 15, 1968. Griffin went on to graduate from Harvard University. He began trading while in college, and had amassed a million dollars by the time he graduated.
Success: He then launched his own hedge fund company, Citadel LLC, in 1990. The company was massively successful throughout the 90s and early 2000s, and Mr. Griffin started regularly appeared on the lists of richest Americans published by Forbes and Fortune. His company took a beating in 2008, as did most funds. He personally lost over a billion dollars in net worth in the aftermath of 2008 and his fund lost $9 billion. He eventually managed to recover, however, and is back at pre-recession levels with more than $30 billion under management.
In addition to his hedge fund work, he is also a major art collector. In 2016 he spent $500 million to acquire two paintings, one by Jackson Pollack, the other by Willem de Kooning.
Philanthropy: Griffin has given more than $1 billion to various charities so far. He has donated to numerous organizations including The University of Chicago, the Ann & Robert Lurie Children's Hospital, The Field Museum of Natural History, the Art Institute of Chicago, the Museum of Modern Art, and the American Museum of Natural History.
In early 2020 Ken Griffin and partners of Citadel and Citadel Securities gave$20 million, for COVID-19 efforts in China, Chicago, New York and the U.K. Recipients include Greater Chicago Food Depository, Imperial College London, NYC COVID-19 Response & Impact Fund and Rockefeller University.
Homes: Between 2013 and 2019 alone, Ken spent $750 million on personal residences. Those purchases include a $58 million home in Chicago (the most expensive purchase in Illinois history), a $60 million home in Miami (a record for Miami), a $17 million mansion in Hawaii, $200 million worth of LAND in Palm Beach, Florida, a $122 million mansion in London and four floors of a New York City building that cost $238 million. His New York City purchase set the record for most expensive home in the history of the United States.
Fun Ken Griffin Wealth Milestones:
- Started out investing in his dorm with $265k raised from friends and family. Had over $1m by the time he graduated
- Personally lost $1b in 2008 crisis, his firm lost $9b
- Today his company, which he owns entirely, manages $30 billion
- Made $1.4 billion in 2018
- Has spent $750 million on personal real estate since 2013
- In 2017 he donated $125m to the University of Chicago
- In 2016 he spent $500m on TWO paintings
- Holds the record for most expensive home purchase in Illinois, Florida, New York and the United States
- His $200m purchase in Palm Beach, FL is just land. Still needs to build a house!
- His $240m NYC purchase is the top four un-furnished floors of a building. Still needs to spend millions on furniture and fixtures (sinks, stoves, refrigerators)
Kenneth C. Griffin
|Net Worth:||$16 Billion|
|Date of Birth:||Oct 15, 1968 (52 years old)|
|Nationality:||United States of America|