Richest Business
Net Worth:
$50 Million
1966 (58 years old)
Journalist, Business Analyst, Writer, Editor
United States of America
­čĺ░ Compare Henry Blodget's Net Worth

What is Henry Blodget's Net Worth and Salary?

Henry Blodget is an American businessman, investor and journalist who has a net worth of $50 million. Henry Blodget is best-known for being the founder of the website Business Insider, which is today known simply as Previously, he served as a senior Internet analyst for CIBC Oppenheimer and the head of the global Internet research team at Merrill Lynch. Blodget was permanently banned from the securities industry following his civil trial conviction for violating securities laws and had to pay a $4 million fine.

When Business Insider was acquired in 2015 by German publishing conglomerate Axel Springer for $343 million Henrey Blodget owned an estimated 5-10% of the company, giving him a pre-tax windfall of $17 – $34 million.

Early Life and Education

Henry Blodget was born in 1966 on the Upper East Side of Manhattan in New York City. As a youth, he went to Phillips Exeter Academy, a prestigious independent school in New Hampshire. For his higher education, Blodget went to Yale University, from which he earned his bachelor's degree in history.

Career Beginnings

Following his graduation from Yale, Blodget began his career teaching English in Japan. He later moved to San Francisco, California, where he gave tennis lessons. Blodget also did freelance writing for Harper's Magazine.

Equity Research and Investment

In 1994, Blodget joined Prudential Securities' corporate finance training program. Two years after that, he began his career in equity research at the financial services firm Oppenheimer & Company. Serving as a senior Internet analyst, he predicted in late 1998 that the common stock of the technology company Amazon would increase from $240 to $400 within a year. Although this was believed to be highly unlikely, the stock price ended up exceeding that mark, garnering Blodget major attention from the media.

Shortly after this, Blodget became the head of global Internet research at Merrill Lynch. At Merrill Lynch he reportedly earned $12 million in a single year. During this time he began to make regular appearances on CNBC.

Just before the dot-com bubble burst in 2000, Blodget invested $700,000 in tech stocks, most of which he ended up losing over the ensuing years. Accepting a buyout from Merrill Lynch, he departed the company in 2001.

Henry Blodget Net Worth

Getty Images

Securities Fraud and Consequences

In 2002, New York State Attorney General Eliot Spitzer published incriminating Merrill Lynch emails from Blodget. In the emails, Blodget gave stock assessments that contradicted what had been publicly published. Consequently, he was charged by the US Securities and Exchange Commission in 2003 with civil securities fraud. Blodget reached a settlement with the SEC in which he assented to a permanent ban from any further involvement in the securities industry. Additionally, he paid a $2 million fine as well as a disgorgement of the same amount for a total payment of $4 million.

After leaving the securities industry, Blodget returned to writing about finance and economics. He contributed his writing to numerous publications, including Slate, Fortune, the New York Times, Euromoney, and the Financial Times. Blodget also became the CEO of the research and consulting firm Cherry Hill Research.

Business Insider

In 2007, along with Dwight Merriman and Kevin P. Ryan, Blodget became the co-founder, Editor in Chief, and CEO of Silicon Alley Insider. The website eventually morphed into and then simply

On September 29, 2015, it was revealed that 88% of BusinessInsider had been acquired by German media conglomerate Axel Springer for $343 million. That brought Axel Springer's total stake up to 97%, with's Jeff Bezos owning the remaining 3%.

It is believed that at the time of the sale Henry Blodget owned 5-10% of BI, giving him a windfall of $17 – $34 million per-tax.


Blodget continues to write articles for a number of prominent publications, including Newsweek and New York magazine. His writing focuses on such issues as the return-limiting actions of investors. Among his other works, Blodget published a book in 2007 entitled "The Wall Street Self-Defense Manual: A Consumer's Guide to Intelligent Investing." He also maintains a technology blog called Silicon Alley Insider, which hosts the writing of various authors.

All net worths are calculated using data drawn from public sources. When provided, we also incorporate private tips and feedback received from the celebrities or their representatives. While we work diligently to ensure that our numbers are as accurate as possible, unless otherwise indicated they are only estimates. We welcome all corrections and feedback using the button below.
Did we make a mistake?
Submit a correction suggestion and help us fix it!
Submit a Correction