Angela Merkel Net Worth: Angela Merkel is a German politician and former research scientist who has a net worth of $11.5 million. Angela Merkel was born July 17, 1954 in Hamburg, Germany. Trained as a physicist, Merkel entered politics after the 1989 fall of the Berlin Wall. Rising to the position of Chairwoman of the Christian Democratic Union (CDU) party, Merkel became Germany's first female chancellor and one of the leading figures of the European Union, following the 2005 national elections. In 2013, Merkel won one of the most decisive victories in German history, achieving the best result for the CDU/CSU (Christian Democratic Union/Christian Social Union) since reunification and coming within five seats of the first absolute majority since 1957. However, with the FDP (Free Democratic Party), its preferred coalition partner, failing to enter parliament for the first time since 1949, the CDU/CSU turned to the SPD (Social Democratic Party) to form the third grand coalition in postwar German history and the second under Merkel's leadership. Merkel made international headlines in October 2013 when she accused the U.S. National Security Agency of tapping her cell phone. She chided the United States for this privacy breech, saying that "Spying among friends is never acceptable," according to CNN.com, at a summit of European leaders. Later reports revealed that the NSA may have surveilled Merkel since as early as 2002.
Angela Merkel is the current Chancellor of Germany and the head of the political party CDU in Germany. In addition to being the first female German Chanchellor, she is also considered by Forbes magazine to be the most powerful woman in the world.
Date of Birth
- July 17, 1954
- Angela Dorothea Kasner
- Angela Dorothea Merkel
- Angela Kasner
- 5 ft 4 in (1.65 m)
View Full Profile
- The role of science in sustainable development
- Theoretical approach to reactions of polyatomic molecules
- The lowest bound states of triplet (BH2)+
- Berechnung von Geschwindigkeitskonstanten für den C-H-Bindungsbruch im Methylradikal (Calculation of Velocity Constants for the Break of the Carbon-Hydrogen-Bond in the Methyl Radical)
- Vibrational Properties of Surface Hydroxyls: Nonempirical Model Calculations Including Anharmonicities
- Nonempirical parameter estimate for the statistical adiabatic theory of unimolecular fragmentation carbon-hydrogen bond breaking in methyl
- Evaluation of the rate constant for the SN2 reaction fluoromethane + hydride: methane + fluoride in the gas phase
Angela Merkel Videos
Report: German Chancellor Angela Merkel Could End Term EarlyGerman magazine Der Spiegel reports Angela Merkel is considering stepping down before her term as German Chancellor ends in 2017.
Angela Merkel Reacts To U.S SpyingAngela Merkel reacts to U.S spying saying it's a 'clear contradiction' if true and more of today's top political stories with Alyona Minkovksi.
Angela Merkel Begins China VisitThe German Chancellor Angela Merkel has met the Chinese Premier Li Keqiang in Beijing as she begins her three-day visit to China.