Sidney Poitier net worth: Sidney Poitier is an American-born Bahamian actor, film director, author, and diplomat who has a net worth of $25 million. In a white man era when his fellow black actors and actresses made an impact, Sidney Poitier was the man to break the color barrier turning his screen presence into a culture-changing force. On his second attempt to enter the theater, he was accepted and earned a Broadway debut role in 1946 in an all-black production of Lysistrata. Four years later he moved into films with No Way Out, his very first film that enhanced a chain of events that freed his native Bahamas of British colonial rule. Poitier's performance as Dr. Luther Brooks, a doctor treating a bigot put him in the spotlight and led to more prominent and even award-worthy roles. Soon Poitier became the first black person ever to win an Academy Award for Best Actor for his portrayal of Homer Smith in 1963's production of the movie Lilies of the Field. Since, he earned more major parts including in three successful 1967 films: To Sir, with Love, In the Heat of the Night, and Guess Who's Coming to Dinner. Apart from acting, Poitier has also directed several popular flicks like A Piece of the Action, Uptown Saturday Night, Let's Do It Again and Stir Crazy. But as he phased himself out of the movie industry, Poitier's worldwide prestige allowed his native Bahamas to call on him to take on the brand new role of diplomat and representative to the United Nations. Ever since 1997, he has served as the Bahamian ambassador to Japan, while in 2009, he was presented with the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President Barack Obama.
Sidney Poitier Net Worth
Have something to add to this net worth? Share it by adding comments below.
Date of Birth
Feb 20, 1927 (89 years old)
Actor, Diplomat, Writer, Film director, Author, Film Producer
United States of America
6 ft 2 in (1.892 m)
Sidney L. Poitier, Sir Sidney Poitier, Sir Sidney Poitier, KBE
Floyd Mayweather Just Made Another Amazingly Outlandish Purchaseon Jun 23, 2016
Here's One Major Reason Why So Many NFL Players Go Brokeon Jun 22, 2016
Ayesha Curry Thinks The NBA Is Rigged, But It's Going To Make Her Husband More Moneyon Jun 23, 2016
Elon Musk Wants Tesla To Buy SolarCity For $2.8 Billionon Jun 23, 2016
America's Richest Self-Made Woman Guided Her Company To Huge Success After The Sudden Loss Of Her Husbandon Jun 23, 2016
2016's Highest-Paid Female Athleteson Jun 22, 2016
Inside The $367M+ Luxury Jet: The Boeing 747-8 VIPon Jun 24, 2016
The S-110 Evo Venta Black Is The "World's Blackest Watch," And It Costs $95,000on Jun 23, 2016
Maria Sharapova Is Suspended For Two Years On Doping Chargeson Jun 24, 2016
Dells Sells Software Assets For More Than $2 Billionon Jun 23, 2016
Sidney Poitier Earnings
Click to Expand
- Guess Who's Coming to Dinner$200,000and % of the gross profits
- In the Heat of the Night$200,00020% of the gross profits
- Porgy and Bess$75,000
- No Way Out$3,000
All net worths are calculated by applying a proprietary algorithm. The results are then fact checked and confirmed by a team of editors. We scan all publicly available data and resources and work diligently to ensure that our numbers are the most accurate and up to date net worth data you will find anywhere on the internet.
- Billionaire Li Ka-Shing Urges U.K. To Remain As Brexit Vote LoomsOn Thursday, people in the United Kingdom will decide whether they want their country to remain in the European Union. Billionaire Li Ka-shing wants them to stay.
- While Credit Suisse Stocks Plummeted, One Former Employee Earned BigSwiss bank Credit Suisse is handling major losses, so how did Sergio Machado earn $14 million?
- Koch Brothers Invest Millions In State Senate RacesSuper PAC leaders David and Charles Koch aren't bothering with Trump, but they haven't pulled out of the 2016 race. Who will they support?
- Mark Cuban Donates $1M To Dallas PD To Protect LGBT CommunityAlthough he may have a reputation as a "shark," one billionaire is donating $1 million to help police and the LGBT community in Dallas, Texas, following a deadly attack at an Orlando gay club.