Hugh Hefner net worth: Hugh Hefner is an American entrepreneur and founder of Playboy magazine who has a net worth of $50 million. According to paperwork filed in 2009 as part of a divorce, Hugh Hefner estimated his own net worth to be $43 million. At the peak of Playboy, Hefner's net worth was over $200 million. Unfortunately, the company has not performed will over the last 10-15 years as magazine sales have diminished rapidly. In the period between 2000 and 2010, Playboy's stock price fell 80%. The company was taken private in 2011 by Hefner and private equity firm Icon Acquisition Holdings. Another private equity firm called Rizvi Traverse. Hefner owns 35% of the Playboy brand and 100% of the actual magazine.
Interestingly, most people assume Hugh himself actually owns the famous Playboy mansion, but in fact he does not. Playboy Enterprises owns the house and Hefner must pay an annual fee to cover rent and other expenses like food and parties. In typical years, that rent comes to around $1 million. And yes, that also includes the room and board for Hefner's live in girlfriends. In January 2016, Playboy Enterprises announced that it was putting the mansion up for sale for $200 million. A comparable house in the same neighborhood would likely be worth $60 – $80 million, so it's a hefty premium… but there's only one Playboy Mansion in the world!
Here is how Hefner broke down his own finances in a court filing back in 2009:
- – Salary from Playboy: $116,667
- – Social Security: $1,896
- – Dividends and interest: $121,099
- – Rental property: $17,058
- – Income from HMH Productions: $15,808
- – Pensions and retirement: $413
- – Other miscellaneous income: $17,639
–Total monthly income: $290,580
- – $306,548 in cash
- – $36,802,558 in stocks and bonds
- – $6,122,990 in a joint account with an unnamed person
– Total assets (including Playboy stock and property): $43,232,096
And here's how Hugh spends his millions per month:
- – Rent (including groceries, household supplies, utilities, cell phone and email): $53,593
- – Food (approximate): $18,000
- – Entertainment: $25,000
- – College expenses for kids: $10,130
- – Health care: $3,215
Related Post: How much do Playboy Playmates make?