Floyd Mayweather Dispels Rumors Of A Fight Agreement With Conor McGregor

By on February 17, 2017 in ArticlesSports News

Rumors of a potential superfight between Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor have been circulating for nearly two years now. While both fighters have claimed that they would defeat the other in the ring (or octagon), the superfight's biggest roadblock is what everyone would expect it to be with these two men; money. McGregor said late last year that he wouldn't do the fight for less than $100 million, while Mayweather said in an interview earlier this year that he would offer the UFC champ just $15 million in a fight. While the two have appeared to be in a stalemate since then, could the fight actually be happening sooner rather than later?

Earlier this week, The Irish Sun reported that Mayweather and McGregor had finally reached an agreement on the heavily anticipated superfight. According to the newspaper, "the bombshell agreement [was] yet to be formally signed because of a third party hold-up," and that McGregor was preparing to "finalise details with his representatives in Las Vegas," this week.

The article also quoted a source close to McGregor, who stated that "McGregor and Floyd Mayweather have agreed a deal to fight and have both settled on their respective fees." The source went on to say that "the fight could even be announced within two weeks."

When that news came out, many were excited that the terms of the highly anticipated fight had finally been agreed to, but Mayweather took to Instagram to dispel any rumors that a deal had been agreed to.

(Ethan Miller/Getty Images)

Mayweather said in the Instagram post that "there hasn't been any deals made in regards to a fight between myself and any others fighters. I am happily retired and enjoying life at this time. If any changes are to come, be sure that I will be the first to let the world know."

The undefeated boxer also made a follow up Instagram post aimed at McGregor that read "Listen, Conor McGregor, if you really want to get this fight done… take care of your business with the UFC and then have your people get in touch with my people."

UFC President Dana White also sent a text to Brett Okamoto of ESPN that read, "No deal is even close to being done."

As previously stated, the biggest hurdle for the potential fight is money. Dana White publicly offered the pair $25 million each, to which Mayweather responded that White was a "f*****g comedian!"

Hopefully this superfight happens before it's too late.

Articles Written by Marvin Jules
Marvin Jules is a freelancer with a passion for music and sports He is a graduate of Rutgers University with degrees is Communication and Human Resource Management. In addition to writing, he also runs an online store where he curates and sells vintage clothing and accessories. You can follow him on Instagram here (IG: 9to5thrift)
Did we make a mistake?
Submit a correction suggestion and help us fix it!
Submit a Correction
Discussion