In case you haven't heard, back in January police in New Zealand arrested 37 year year old Kim Dotcom, also known as Kim Schmitz, the founder of Megaupload.com. Kim, who is reportedly 6 foot 7 and weighs 330 pounds, made a fortune off Megaupload until the feds shut it down. Founded in 2005, Megaupload allowed users to upload any video they found to be viewed and shared by anyone in the world. Think of it like a youtube for pirated videos. Those pirated videos cost movie studios a reported $500 million in damages while the site was active and now Kim Dotcom could be facing 55 years in prison for his crimes. At the peak of Megaupload's success, Kim Dotcom was earning $150,000 a day in ad revenue which afforded him quite the amazing life. By all accounts, Kim is a pretty awesome guy who even invited a random fan to come party at his mansion for no reason other than it would be fun. Take a tour of the insanely lavish life that Kim led before his arrest in our gallery below including pictures of his $25 million mansion that comes with life sized Giraffe statues!
Insane facts about Kim Dotcom's luxury lifestyle:
- Kim Dotcom's net worth: $200 million
- Megaupload's main office in Hong Kong was actually a $12,000 a day luxury hotel suite.
- When police raided his house they seized $5 million worth of cars.
- Kim's cars had license plates like "HACKER", "STONED", "GUILTY", "MAFIA" and "GOD".
- Kim lives in a $25 million New Zealand mansion.
- Megaupload.com was hosted on over 1500 servers located in Virginia, France and the Netherlands.
- Megaupload.com had 150 million registered members and 50 million daily unique visitors.
- It was the 13th most visited website in the world.
- Kim spent $500,000 on a New Years fireworks display in Auckland which he watched from above in his helicopter:
What do you think about Kim Dotcom? Was it all worth it?